Goulburn Paceway Track
Welcome to the Goulburn Paceway, operated by the family oriented Goulburn Harness Racing Club Inc and located at the Goulburn Recreation Area, Goulburn in New South Wales.
Situated at 47 Braidwood Road, the Recreation Area is crown land administered by the Trusteeship of the Goulburn Mulwaree Council. The facility is managed through the close co-operation of all users, some of which include the Harness Racing Club, Greyhound Club, Rodeo Club, Goulburn Show, and the Goulburn Dressage Club.
The Goulburn Paceway was originally modelled on Albion Park, the metropolitan track, and home, of Queensland harness racing. In those early days the track boasted the following specifications and details:
- Width – 19m to provide for mobile starts with 8 across the front
- Length – 1049 to provide for 1000m circuit in one lap
- Super-Elevation – 3% on straights
- Drainage – Minimum thickness of 200mm of 37mm rock to provide subsoil drainage layer
- Pavement Design
- Wearing Surface 75mm thick
- Drainage layer 200mm thick
- Sub Grade material up to 500mm thick
- Geotextile fabric over sub-base
It complied with HRNSW’s then minimum standards in respect of the construction of new tracks and had already been accredited to conduct registered trials which were held on the second and fourth Sunday of the month with approximately 40-50 horses participating.
In December 2006 following unanimous approval of all NSW harness clubs, and after the presentation of a betting licence by the Hon Grant McBride, Minister for Gaming and Racing, the Goulburn Harness Racing Club was accredited to conduct registered race meetings. Racing commenced in 2008, however in December 2010 the Goulburn area of New South Wales suffered one in hundred year flooding which resulted in significant damage being caused to the Goulburn Paceway.
While temporary repairs allowed for racing to continue, a major reconstruction of the track was undertaken in the Spring of 2011. Adhering to the very latest science in race track construction, the Goulburn Paceway now includes 10% camber on all turns, specially designed spiral turns, a wider and cambered home straight, and a passing lane, making it one of the best, most modern and fairest track Australia wide. The Goulburn Paceway now boasts:
- Circumference – 1050 metres
- Length of Straight – 196 metres
- Track Width – 17 metres
- Radius of turns – 105 metres
- Camber of turns – 10%
- Track Surface – Crusher Dust
- Racing Distance – 1710m, 2240m, 2760m
- Direction – Anti Clockwise
- Fields – Mobile – 12
- Fields – Stand – 14
- Sprint Lane – Yes