The Canberra and Goulburn Harness Racing Clubs have unveiled plans for a $300,000 summer carnival of harness racing to be run over four consecutive Sundays in January and February of 2017.
Headlining the racing are the $31,800 Frank & Edna Day Goulburn Cup, the $25,000 Canberra Cup, and the $19,080 Goulburn Soldiers Club Goulburn Rose. Both clubs have introduced new feature races for three year old pacers, spearheaded by the $15,000 Canberra Derby and the $15,000 Canberra Oaks.
Commencing on January 15 with the Hewitt Memorial and Walla Walla Stakes race day at Goulburn, the action turns to Canberra on the January 22 where the Canberra Oaks and Derby will be decided. The focus then returns to Goulburn on the January 29 for that club’s Carnival of Cups race day, before winding up on February 5 with the Canberra Cup meeting.
The clubs have coordinated their programmes to maximise the opportunities for participants and fans alike. “This is only the start for what we hope will be a very productive season for both clubs,” stated Goulburn secretary, Mark Croatto.
Canberra Club President, Wayne Gowland, is hopeful the summer carnival will bring a renewed interest to harness racing in Canberra and Goulburn , attracting owners, trainers and horses from far and wide to the region. “The on-course stabling and training facility in Canberra allows us to accommodate trainers for as long as they wish at a very affordable price. They can race in Canberra and Goulburn during the Carnival and take in the many sites and tourist destinations of the Canberra region during their stay,” stated Gowland.
With the two clubs only 50 minutes apart, and given the challenges the sport is facing, it makes common sense for the two organisations to work closely together in not only providing the very best product for the harness industry, but to take full advantage of the benefits in promoting racing across the Canberra and Southern Tablelands Region under one banner.
Canberra and Goulburn race a total of 30 meetings per year with racing commencing in November and winding up in June.
HIGHLIGHTS – GOULBURN CANBERRA SUMMER CARNIVAL
Sunday 15th January – $64,520
- Hewitt Memorial C2-C4 $12,720 (Winner exempt ballot Canberra Cup)
- Walla Walla Stakes C4 & better $12,720
- AGL Menangle Country Series 4YO C0 only $10,000
- AGL Menangle Country Series 4YO C2 only $10,000
Sunday 22nd January – $56,000
- Canberra Derby 3CO & better (C & G) $15,000
- Canberra Oaks 3CO & better (Fillies) $15,000
- Heats Henry Rixon Memorial 4YO C0 only $3,500
- Heats Ackie Hawke Memorial C1-C2 $3,500
- Heats Canberra Cup C3-C6 $6,000
Sunday 29th January – $101,760
- Frank & Edna Day Goulburn Cup C6 or better $31,800
- Goulburn Soldiers Club Goulburn Rose C2-C4 $19,080
- Goulburn Guineas 3CO or better (C & G) $12,720
- Goulburn Mulwaree City 3YO Fillies Stakes $12,720
Sunday 5th February – $65,000
- Canberra Cup C3-C6 $25,000
- Ackie Hawke Memorial C1-C2 $10,000
- Henry Rixon Memorial 4YO C0 only $7,500
- 2YO Canberra Sapling Stakes $10,000